Friday, April 23, 2021

Blogging from A to Z April Challenge: T is for Tortoise

 


Above is a picture of a baby Sulcata tortoise also known as the African Spurred Tortoise. You can't tell from the picture that the Sulcata is the third largest tortoise in the world. This little one could grow to weigh 231lbs.


Here is one about 16 years old. They get bigger than that. (picture by me)

If you are wondering the largest tortoise in the world is the Galapagos tortoise, followed by the Aldabra Giant Tortoise.



5 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nashvillecats2 said...

Good read and photo's. I read all your comments but they did not show up on my actual blog,

Lisa said...

Ah, yes, tortoises. You probably know just what percentage of people say "turtle" when they mean tortoise! When I worked in a pet store customers would ask if we sold turtles. No, we had tortoises. Then again, a lot of the customers weren't really up on what were mammals, fish, reptiles etc. One woman, when told the guppies gave live birth, said, "So, their mammals?"

When I was little one of the zoos in the area has Galapagos tortoises in the petting zoo, and actually let little kids sit on them!

Birgit said...

I love that you had a tortoise and know how to care for them. When I was little my aunt and uncle had a huge tortoise shell that they left upright in their stairway. My brother and I and their kids used to play with it and I would get underneath it and hide. Now that I know about them, I feel sad about that tortoise that died so we can play with its shell.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Mike,

Tortosise that get as big as you described are quite interesting. I don't think I've ever seen one up close, unless there was one at our zoo. I can't recall now. When it's small it's far cutier and the way I prefer them.

Tweety Looney Tunes A-Z Art Sketch