Saturday, April 10, 2021

Blogging from A to Z April Challenge: I is for Indigo Snake



 
A news segment on the Indigo Snake to open my post. It is one of many animals to use my G letter Gopher Tortoise burrows for shelter. Like yesterday's reptile the Hawksbill Turtle the Indigo Snake is endangered.

The longest native state in the United States the largest recorded was over 9 feet long. The snake is nonvenomous but eats venomous snakes and a wide variety of small animals.

Some efforts are being made to reintroduce this snake in places where their population has disappeared or has been severely reduced. 

 

4 comments:

Stephanie Holland said...

Can't say I'm a big fan of snakes, but it is always sad when an creature is facing extinction.

Here from A to Z. Visit me at http://theroadweveshared.com/blog where our theme is Down syndrome in the media.

Dave Roller said...

I do like snakes. I did not know Indigo snakes were endangered. What is their habitat?

Birgit said...

What a beautiful snake! They look gentle overall just from the clip you show and needed since they eat poisonous snakes. My mouth dropped open when I heard how much is left of that Pine tree. The narrator sounds like Peter Coyote who narrates many nature documentaries.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Mike,

An Indigo Snake sounds like one to have around, especially if you live in an area where there are venomous snakes and although I'm not a fan of any kind of snake I know they all have a special reason for being. Hopefully, this species can repopulate.

Injun Putty Tat Looney Tunes A-Z Art Sketch