Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Blogging from A to Z: Old

Is old really a destination? My gray hair is a sure sign I am growing old. Another one is the fact I am more likely to be mistaken for the senior citizens discount than be carded buying alcohol. Wow, I'm growing older but I'm not that old yet.

I've reached that point in my life I can't do the things I used to do. I blame it on age but in truth it is I'm not in the shape I used to be in. I keep saying I am going to get that back. Sure, I am as soon as I loose the extra pounds I'm carrying around my mid section.

My dad gave me the advice to never grow old! Received it too late as I was already half way there. I have reached the point in my life when my parents get another health issue I start to think that is another thing I get to look forward too. Unfortunately it scares me!

I see my Mom fighting the things she is going through. I see the damage the treatments have done. I see the things she is fighting keep coming back for another round. I admire my Mother's fight. I wouldn't expect less from her. She is headstrong, determined, stubborn and that's my mom. The fight has left her older still.

These things often are hereditary.  Chances are good I will have a serious health issue I will have to fight as I grow older. Makes me think how much am I willing to fight these things when they come around? Is growing old or older just coming to grip with one's mortality?

Is becoming old watching cars that were cool in your day become antiques? Is becoming old realizing stadiums you watched events in are no longer there? Is becoming old listening songs from your youth being played on the oldies station?


I know I have a lot more living left to do. I'm hoping to enjoy life. However, the journey to old does go through some scary destinations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your style is so unique compared to other folks I have read
stuff from. Thank you for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I'll just
bookmark this site.

Birgit said...

Getting old is not for sissies as Betty Davis said and it’s true. I have had pain in every joint for decades and cancer runs in my dad’s side of the family so you never know. Your mom is a great teacher, despite what she is enduring and has endured, she is brave, and enjoys life from what I am gathering. Enjoy each day is my motto