Sunday, December 30, 2018

Battle of the Bands Chronicles Volume Six: 2018 in review

2018 is ending very quickly. As I am thinking what Battle of the Bands I am going to kick off 2019 it is very fitting to look back at the Battles of 2018.

Battle 78 January 15, 2018 Apparently skipping the Battle on the January 1st is something I do. I skipped it this year and in 2017. The Battle for the 15th featured "A Change is Gonna Come" from the great Sam Cooke. Two vocal greats were pitted against one another. Otis Redding versus Seal. Seal won 4 to 2.

Battle 79 February 15, 2018 looks like we were doing these once a month. "Lawyers, Guns and Money" from Warren Zevon. I went for contrast on the contenders Hank Williams Jr against The Wallflowers. The Wallflowers cruised to victory.

Battle 80 March 15, 2018 I went crazy on a "Crazy Train." I went with probably my favorite Virginia band Carbon Leaf against a rocking, Americana band The Gravel Spreaders. The crazy California band won 6 to 2.

Battle 81 April 15, 2018 I went with John Sebastian's "The Face of Appalachia." It was a showdown with Julie Miller against Valerie Carter. Valerie shut out Julie 6 to 0. However, Julie did write my favorite Christian song.

Battle 82 May 1, 2018 I stayed with the John Sebastian songbook. This time it was Jimmy Buffett and The Everly Brothers fighting it out. A shut out for Jimmy 4 to 0.

Battle 83 May 15, 2018 After two straight shut outs I went with Royalty. BB King versus Aretha Franklin. Doing the Roy Hawkins classic "The Thrill is Gone" which belongs to B.B. Another shut out.

Battle 84 June 1, 2018 "Imagine" I went with Elton John and Neil Young to end my shut out streak. Elton won 4 to 3.

Battle 85 June 15, 2018 I stayed with Elton because "I'm Still Standing." Taron Egerton against Martha Wash. Taron won 5 to 3.

Battle 86 July 1,  2018 I went To the Bahama's for a gospel song "I Bid You Goodnight." Really did not go to the Bahama's but if you want to start a go fund me for that I will gladly go! Nicolette Lawson versus Aaron Neville. I threw in a bonus contender Soweto Gospel Choir. Lawson won 3-2-1.

Battle 87 July 15, 2018 John Brim's "I'm Your Ice Cream Man" was my next battle. I used Van Halen's as the example. The original versus Martin Sexton. Sexton won big.

Battle 88 August 1, 2018 Time for the "Summer Time Blues." Blue Cheer and The Who rocked the house to a tie.

Battle 89 August 15, 2018 More "Summer Time Blues." Alan Jackson versus Brian Setzer. Setzer won.

Battle 90 September 1, 2018 I went with one of my favorite songwriters John Hiatt and a tune called "Through Your Hands." I went with Don Henley and David Crosby on this match up. Henley rallied back to win.

Battle 91 September 15, 2018 I decided to put on the rock gears with Black Sabbath's "Changes." Charles Bradley gave his soul version and The Cardigans offered up their take. Charles won.

Battle 92 October 1, 2018 was a tribute to Otis Rush. The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin were two of the biggest rock bands ever and they brought their versions of "I Can't Quit You." The Stones won!

Battle 93 October 15, 2018 we went walking into the "Morning Dew" with Tim Rose and Bonnie Dobson. Dobson won.

Battle 94 November 1, 2018 David Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" gave me the chance to highlight Eric McFadden. Who blew me away seeing him live and his new album. I wanted a good battle so Scott Weiland was the competition. Eric won!

Battle 95 November 15, 2018 I went to classical guitar. John Williams and Kaori Muraji. Stanley Myer's "Cavatina" was the tune. Kaori won.

Battle 96 December 1, 2018 I kicked off December with The Rolling Stones "As Tears Go By." The twist was all female versions. Marianne Faithful vs Melanie. Marianne won.

Battle 97 December 15, 2018 featured the sounds of Christmas. Chris Tomlin and Michael W. Smith performed "Angels We Have Heard on High" and the winner was Chris Tomlin.

2019 will bring my 100th Battle of the Bands. What songs will pick going forward? What do the songs I've picked say about my musical taste? Only time will tell.



No comments: