Sunday, August 9, 2015

Remembering Jerry Garcia

It was 20 years ago today when Jerry Garcia passed away. I remember I was in my car driving home from a college course when I heard the news on a classic rock radio station.

This is a taste of my very first Grateful Dead concert...



Needless to say I was hooked after my first show. He was one of the first musicians who passed away that I felt something about. I knew things would change, but I did not know how much until I went to shows of various splinter groups of the band.

Here the Jerry Garcia Band covers The Beatles with "Dear Prudence"..



I recently featured a bluegrass cover Jerry Garcia had done on my recent Battle of the Bands. I will pick another song from that album to spotlight here..."Stealin'" with David Grisman...


I guess in a year that marks 50 years of the Grateful Dead and 20 years of Jerry Garcia being gone. That no matter how you found the music it certainly has been...a long, strange trip..



Thanks for visiting and I will see you soon!

3 comments:

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

I was never much of a Dead head. I was into other things back then. Yet, there is no doubt the world is a little poorer for his loss.
#WeekendCoffeeShare @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead

holli said...

I was so bummed when I heard the news!! I had never seen them live but a good friend of mine had many times. We made plans to see the Dead the next time they were anywhere close to Dallas- Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, or Texas. He died before I could see him.

Mike said...

Holli you would have enjoyed it! Barbara I agree with what your saying.