Tuesday, May 8, 2012

R.I.P Maurice Sendak

In 1964 Maurice Sendak wrote one of my all time favorite children's book "Where the Wild Things Are." It would probably be another decade or so before I heard the story. I remember seeing it on a television program. I never watched the featured film that came out in 2009 based on it. The book won numerous awards and I am sure I am not alone ranking it among the top children reads of all time.

Anyway, I digress Maurice Sendak has passed away today. He was 83 years old. You can read a nice remembrance of him by NPR here. I think the version of his book I watched was something like this...



Here is a trailer for the movie...


I will take his passing as a reminder to share his book with my daughter. Perhaps we will even watch the movie together. Maybe even search out another book by him. I think that would be the way to celebrate his life and legacy by sharing his work.



No comments: