Thursday, September 18, 2008

Saint Nick Has Passed Away

Christmas won't be the same now that Saint Nick has passed away. The Parrish Children at Saint John's won't be able to have their pictures taken with "Saint Nick" at the Nicholas Day Fair in December.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't the real Saint Nick, but he did look a lot like him when he dressed up. Had a natural white beard, too. He gladly played the part with joy every holiday season. He was elderly and had some health issues. So, it isn't surprising he passed away. I'm speaking of Dick Weibel.

He was a good man, he was a faithful member of the Parrish who was always willing to help out. Dick could probably dress up as a pirate well too if he wanted with his er ring which isn't typical of a guy his age. But Dick wasn't typical. He had some stories. I remember him telling me of a statue of Jesus which you can dive down and see some where off the coast of the Florida Keys.

It's one of the stories that kind of stuck with me. I'm sure he has a lot of other great stories, unfortunately we will have to wait to hear them. Dick Weibel will be missed by his family, the Parrish, and the community. May God bless him...

No comments: