Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Battle of the Bands: Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head

Welcome to another month, another Battle of the Bands. Today's song is the Hal David Burt Bacharach composition "Raindrops Keep' Fallin' on My Head."

The song was originally released by BJ Thomas..


Next I will pick two contenders. If you want to join the fun your mission is to listen to both covers and tell me which one you like best (or hate least). I count up the votes and announce a winner in another post in about a week.

Contender One: Johnny Mathis


Contender Two: Manic Street Preachers


Let me know who you like! I hope you enjoy and I will see you soon!



7 comments:

John Holton said...

Neither of these was up to the BJ Thomas standard, but Johnny Mathis came pretty close. He gets my vote.

Cherdo said...

This is one of those songs that takes you back in time...no one can say this tune didn't get enough air time, back in the day! And B.J. Thomas' original version is still the champ.

But...I do like some JOHNNY MATHIS in the mix! I wish we had ten more Johnny Mathises...though I'd have to figure out how to do the plural form definitely.

JOHNNY GETS MY VOTE!

Arlee Bird said...

Johnny did a fine job but he didn't really take the song to any new place which is exactly what the Manic Street Preachers. I like their sound. Give my vote to the Preachers.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

A good song from a great movie!!

The Manic Street Preachers did a pretty nice version of it, but I gotta bote for JOHNNY MATHIS. Mathis had a fantastic voice and he is one of the very few "crooners" whom I have always loved listening to.

~ D-FensDogG
STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

My vote goes to MANIC STREET PREACHERS. I'm a fan of the band, and I think their sound gives the song a uniqueness, though the Johnny Mathis cover is excellent.

Kim

aisasami said...

My vote goes for Johnny Mathis, love the big band style.

Birgit said...

I have to say I don’t care for either. I am not one for Johnny Mathis’s voice but that other one did not do it for me at all. I disliked the styling they did and I found his singing a bit sloppy when it got to the strong points so I give my vote to Mathis.