Monday, April 2, 2018

Blogging from A to Z 2018: B is for Baseball

My Monday's Music Moves Me post certainly delivers a soundtrack for the boys of summer playing baseball. Welcome to my blog and my A to Z challenge. Today's theme is baseball.



The 2018 baseball has just started so the timing is appropriate for a blog post on baseball. Baseball has been called "America's Pastime." Where I live college football is probably king among sports. I'm pretty passionate about my favorite NFL team. College basketball is fun and March Madness is exciting. I could go on with other sports but baseball is special.

As my proceeding post showed there are great songs about baseball. It has a storied history. IT is a thinking persons sport. There is strategy and enough stats to appeal to the most analytical, number crunching nerd (and I know I have resembled that last comment.)

If  that "stats to appeal to the most analytical, number crunching nerd" appeals to you I would highly recommend the book Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis.

Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game

As I stated baseball is probably the most storied sport. There are so many books written about baseball. I just entered search at Goodreads and it came back with over 12,400 books! I've rad a few and have a few laying around waiting for me to read.

If books were not enough to make it storied enough how about movies.

"Field of Dreams"



"Bull Durham"


Even away players work there way up to the major league resembles working your way up the corporate ladder. Young athletes work there way through the minor leagues trying to make it to the Majors. Of course going to a game is fun. Minor league games are very interesting and have quite a few family events. While Major League games give you the big time experience.

A view to baseball field..



Well that's my post on baseball and the letter B. Tune into tomorrow as my focus will go on to the letter C.

4 comments:

John Holton said...

The time between the last pitch of the World Series and the first pitch of Spring Training seems like an eternity, doesn't it? It seems even longer if your favorite team went home at the beginning of October rather than the beginning of November.

"Moneyball" is a great book, and the movie based on it with Brad Pitt is actually pretty good. It's a whole different ballgame (so to speak) since Sabermetrics came into the picture. Organizations need to balance the love of numbers with respect for what scouts say about a player they've actually watched. Neither approach will always yield the best results.

I like both movies a lot, but prefer "Bull Durham," mostly because I spent a week in the Raleigh-Durham area (many weeks, really, but one in particular) and spent a few happy hours in the bleachers of Durham Athletic Park watching the Bulls (at the time a Class A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves) drop four to Salem (the Class A affiliate of the Pirates). Only three of the players I saw that week made it to the Majors, which I guess is what happens when you watch a low affiliate... anyway, it was baseball the way it should be enjoyed.

Great post!

Birgit said...

My brother is a huge baseball fan. Ever since he was a kid he collected the cards with that crappy gum and he would mark down the stats from the back and have everything categorized. He has an extensive collection and even worked for a magazine where he wrote the back of the cards. Those 2 movies are great and my brother loves the first film and he has that book and has read it.

Arlee Bird said...

Can't say I've ever been the biggest baseball fan, but I've been to several games, pro and minor league. Always a good time. I've enjoyed the baseball movies I've seen as well.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out (A)

Sue said...

Field of Dreams is such a great film, probably in my top ten. The film Moneyball was good too. Baseball to me is the all American sport.