Friday, February 14, 2014

In Memory of Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger passed away while my blog was out. It might be better to write about him now since his death isn't current news or a trending topic. His death is simply a recent event. His life was far more than a simple life and his songs are much more than simple folk songs.

 In my younger days the loud guitars of Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Hendrix, and Guns and Roses appealed to me. I was turned on by the blues, especially the electric Chicago Blues. But as much as liked the grittier music I also liked the softer songs such as Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Crosby, Stills and Nash. Neil Young kind to capture both sides. However, in my teen and young adult years I was introduced to the songs of Pete Seeger.

I used to sing and play his song "Where Have All The Flowers Gone." His influence on people, who could play  music who I knew, really pushed him up in my book. You know the real people in your life, who influence your taste in music and never have a clue they have.

 
 
In my opinion he is up there with Woody Guthrie and perhaps Ramblin' Jack Elliot on the top of my folk list. I tend to like the generation after them, The Grateful Dead, Dylan, Joni, Cat Stevens, Jimmy Buffett, and the list goes on. Still music before my time my wife likes to say. But to one of the guys who introduced me to Seeger's music, it was the music of his generation and he passed on the seed to grow inside my head. He probably doesn't know or remember he did. However, I am glad he did. I was able to appreciate Pete Seeger's music when he was alive and I will be able to pass it along.
 
 
Below is President Obama's tribute to Pete..
 
 
 
One of his last recordings was his cover of a Bob Dylan song..
 
 
Pete Seeger thank you for your music which influenced a generation. A generation that still passes your music down to other generations who will pass it down as well. You may have passed on but your music will carry on and another generation will ask "Where Have All The Flowers Gone."
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a cool festival!

Stopping by to welcome you on board the A to Z Challenge April 2014
Look forward to your challenge posts, and I missed the AZ badge-- please put that prominently so that the host team can identify your participation easily.


Damyanti
#atozchallenge co-host
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge