Thursday, May 7, 2009

Simple Music

I bought a CD yesterday, a rare event these days, but something I evidently did quite a bit of in the past. It was "Shady Grove" by Jerry Garcia and David Grisman. It is a collection of folk songs recorded between 1990 and 1995 between two musicians(occasionally more). Songs from long ago, played on guitars, banjos and mandolins. The CD was incredible in my opinion.

Yes, I am a fan of Jerry and the Grateful Dead. I also listen to a lot of different music. But this disc is simply, two musicians, playing old time music. Great music and the music performed in a way that you feel the emotion of the song. I like that in music when you can feel it.

"Shady Grove" was a CD that had been on my radar for a while, but for some reason or another I never bought. It was definitely worth the wait, and I wish I had purchased it earlier. It wasn't what I expected, but that is fine. It is a wonderful collection of songs.

No comments: