Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Blogging from A to Z April Challenge 2022: D is for Dale Murphy

 I grew up in the era of superstations, WGN in Chicago broadcasting Cubs games to the masses and WTBS broadcasting Braves games across the nation. I have found members of watching many of games on television at my Granddad. Like many people who followed the Atlanta Braves Dale Murphy became my favorite baseball player.  

                                          Below Dale Murphy hits his 300th homerun


Dale Murphy was a two-time National League MVP and a seven-time all-star. His number three retired by the Atlanta Braves. He may not have had a Hall of Fame career, but he did have a great career.

Here he hits a homer off Rick Sutcliffe


Who was your favorite baseball player when you were growing up? Who is your favorite player now? Who is your favorite player of all time?

Come back Wednesday to see who I come up with for E!




2 comments:

John Holton said...

People here in Atlanta, myself included, loved him, and I can see why: just a great all-around player and kind of the boy next door. The thing I appreciated was him going to management and telling them that if trading him made the team better, they should trade him. They sent him to the Phillies, allowing David Justice to take over in right field. Justice went on a tear after that, and the Braves went worst to first in 1991. I'm sorry for him and Fred McGriff: Murph ended up shy of 400 HR, McGriff short of 500, and I think it's kept both of them out of the Hall of Fame. Maybe the Veterans' Committee will be kind to them...

Liam Sullivan said...

One of my closest friends, whose last name is Murphy, grew up in Alaska and became a fan of Murphy and the Braves due to TBS.