Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Battle of the Bands: Rum and Coca-Cola

 In the 1940s some radio stations apparently didn't play this song because it mentioned rum in the title. If that wasn't bad enough the lyrics allude to prostitution.  Guess it goes to show rock, pop, rap, hip hop or whatever didn't invent controversial music. Also it is good to point out the tropics had songs way before Bob Marley and Jimmy Buffett. So let's put some rum and Coco-Cola together  and take a listen. 

The lyric written by Lord Invader and here is his version.....


Well this a Battle of the Bands.  I play an original pick a couple of covers. You listen and tell me which cover you like the best in the comments. In a week or so, I count up your votes and announce a winner in a new post. 

Harry Belafonte


The Andrews Sisters


So who is going to win Harry or the Sisters? Let me know in the comments. Stay tuned I will be back with another post soon!





5 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

Harry Belafonte was very popular when I was a kid. I wasn't much of a fan, but I was well aware of his music including this song.

I prefer the style of the Andrews Sisters better than Belafonte. Give my vote to the girls.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

John Holton said...

My brother thinks this was written by Morey Amsterdam...

Regardless of who wrote it, The Andrews Sisters get my vote.

Birgit said...

I actually prefer Harry Belafonte for his more Calypso style plus I was not a fan of how the Andrews sang "yankee dollar" the Dol..laaaar. meh give it to Harry.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

Howdy, MIKE ~

I liked both versions pretty well, but when it comes to casting a single bote... I gotta give it to THE ANDREWS SISTERS.

~ STMcC
DogGtor of Alcohology &
King of Inebriation Nation

POSTSCRIPT:
When it comes to rum -
every single time -
make mine...

Cruzan Black Strap Rum.

Hoot Gibson! That is some good stuffs!!

Cathy Kennedy said...

Mike,

I wouldn't say this is a favorite song but I definitely prefer THE ANDREW SISTERS cover int his round. Sorry for the late visit but being away from Blogosphere had me doing other things. ;) Have a good evening. I hope to see you on the dance floor tomorrow!