Wednesday, November 28, 2018

My Battle of the Bands Chronicle: Volume Two closing out a full year.

I started 2015 doing some California Dreaming for my 12th Battle of the Bands. The battle based on The Mamas and the Pappas classic featured the Beach Boys and Bobby Womack. The Beach Boys cruised to a 7-0 shut out victory.

My 13th featured Winterlong by Neil Young. The competition was Whitehorse and The Pixies. Some how the covers lost to Neil Young 3 votes for Mr. Young and 2 a piece for the challengers.

My 14th Battle dove into jazz with My Funny Valentine. I pitted two legends against each other Frank versus Ella. The voting was strong and Frank won 7 to 3.

Battle 15 featured Love Hurts. Joan Jett against The Everly Brothers provided strange competition. Joan Jett rallied to a 6-5 victory on this one.

My 16th Battle featured You're 16! Ringo versus Bill Forbes were the choices. No shut out but Ringo won easily.

I turned to JJ Cale and Travelin' Light for Battle 17. Widespread Panic returned to face Eric Clapton. Clapton made sure WSP was my first two time loser.

Battle 18 fell on April Fool's Day and during the A to Z Challenge. The song was "Everybody Plays the Fool" and featured The Main Ingredient and Aaron Neville. Aaron won 8 to 2.

Battle 19 fell in the A to Z Challenge. "Wild World" by some Cat. The contestants Mr. Big against Maxi Priest. Mt Big squeezed out the victory.

Battle 20 featured "Time is on my Side." The great Irma Thomas versus The Rolling Stones. The original by Kai Winding won. Interesting notes I couldn't keep track of the numbers back then as in the title I called it my 18th Battle. It also marked when I started doing results in a separate post.

Battle 21 was in honor of BB King and featured "Hummingbird." The contestants were Jimmy Page and Leon Russell. Jimmy Page won this Battle.

Battle 22 was New Orleans funk. A song by The Meters, Big Sam and The Dirty Dozen Brass Band. The latter won in a big shut out, However Big Sam is a lot of fun!

My 23rd Battle featured the Deep Purple classic "Highway Star." The competition featured Type O Negative against an All Star Band featuring Deep Purple alumni Glenn Hughes. Glenn and company won.

My 24th should have marked one year of this madness. It featured "Summertime." Ella and Mr Armstrong versus Billie Holiday. The team of two legends won.





No comments: