Monday, January 22, 2018

First cocert of 2018: The Travelin’ McCourys

This time around I went to see The Travelin’ McCourys completely by chance some 370 miles from my home. My schedule at work is pending a change so while I have my schedule with a string of days off I decided to visit my parents. When I visit my parents I try to meet up with a good friend of mine who lives in the area. He used to live real close to my parents now he lives about an hour away. Well he was going to the concert with his girlfriend, Dad, and now me!

The Wild Shiners a fun and talented band from North Florida warmed up the crowd with an opening set. Bringing skill, energy and humor the band showed the future of bluegrass and traditional music in this region is in good hands.

Here they are with "Momma, Hinesville Georgia"


This is a song they played during their set at the Ponte Vedra Concert Hall on Saturday, January 20, 2018.

The last time I experienced the Travelin' McCourys they were doing a special concert celebrating the music of Bill Monroe with living Bluegrass legends Peter Rowan and Tony Rice. You can revisit my review of that incredible show here.

I was looking forward to experiencing a true Travelin’ McCourys show! They didn't disappoint with a close to two hour show. Below is a little sample from the show...



My friend stated everyone in the band is a world class musician. The band had a new guitarist since the last time I watched them with Cody Kilby who worked with Ricky Skaggs for 14 years. Ronnie and Rob carry the famous McCoury bloodline on mandolin and banjo respectfully.  Alan Bartram fills out the sound on bass.



Needless to say it was a night of good fun!

1 comment:

Mary B said...

Sounds like a good concert. Thanks for the introduction!

~Mary