Friday, May 1, 2015

R.I.P Ben E. King

Another musical legend has passed away. Ben E. King the soul, pop, R&B, and doo-wop musician has passed away at the age of 76. He is probably immortalized by being the singer and co-composer of the classic "Stand By Me."


He enjoyed a great solo career and leaves behind an impressive legacy from his years in The Drifters.

 "Save the Last Dance for Me" I am sure someone is hoping...


Here is another solo song "Don't Play That Song"


Here is a tribute from CBS News..


He gave so many "This Magic Moment" and now he is gone.


What are your favorite Ben E. King songs? Any fond memories you would like to share? Please feel free to share in the comments. I am thankful for all the music he left behind. I am sad that he passed away but I am glad we can celebrate his music.



7 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Mike! The headline telling of Ben. E. King's death jumped out at me yesterday and made me sad. One by one all the greats from my baby boomer youth are passing into history.

My favorite recordings that King made fronting the Drifters are "There Goes My Baby" and "I Count the Tears." My favorite of his as a solo artist is his first single, "Spanish Harlem."

Thanks, Mike, for paying tribute to one of the titans of our time, Mr. Ben E. King.

Linda said...

Wonderful post and tribute to a great entertainer, thank you so much for sharing.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Hi Mike. I loved everything he ever did. One of the first artists I remember and had recordings of.

I really appreciate the updates you've provided over the last month or so, on Ben E. King... including his birthday celebration, (smile).

Today's tribute you've shared makes me sad, yet I hear you - let's celebrate his music forever. Thanks, Mike.

Liz A. said...

Wow, is it just me, or has this month been brutal for legendary musicians? (Or last month, really.)

*psst--check your email. You won my little giveaway...

Mike said...

Liz cool thanks for letting me know!

Dixie and Shady well it is sad. However the songs always live on.

Unknown said...

They were all great songs, but I'm partial to Under the Boardwalk. It always reminds me of summer and being at the beach. And now BB King is under hospice care. Wish I had seen him last time he was playing around here. Joan
(somersethouse.me)

Cathy Kennedy said...

It's always sad when a vintage artist like Ben E. King passes because today's artists aren't nearly as talented. Ben E. King began his career the decade before I was born. His early years with The Drifters are only memories from playbacks. I'm not sure, if he did anything I grew up listening to in the 70s or not. Whether he did or not, he sure had a number of excellent hits prior that will live on forever. RIP Ben E. King!