Thursday, August 23, 2018

R.I.P Lazy Lester


Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage, people standing and indoor Back at the end of April I spent the day at Jazz Fest (New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival). It was hot and the sun was blazing like it does on a lot of Spring and Summer days.  I  had ducked into the Blues Tent and Kenny Neal was playing and he is always worth catching. Anyway during his set he brought out a couple of special guests, one was the then 84 year old blues singer and harmonica master Lazy Lester. In the 50s Lester had recorded with blues legends such as Slim Harpo and Lightnin' Hopkins. Obviously he had his own recording career as well. I was able to witness him on stage just by chance a few months ago. Yesterday, Lazy Lester passed away at the age of 85. The picture is one I snapped.

Here is some vintage Lester from 1958 "Sugar Coated Love"


Here is Lazy Lester with Jimmie Vaughan and Johnny Nicholas with "Blues Stop Knockin' at my Door"


Here he is with Slim Harpo  "My Home is a Prison"



"They Call Me Lazy"




I am glad I got to catch him. May he is rest in peace.




No comments: