Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Veteran's Day

 In a way Veteran's Day came early for me. Being a Veteran is a membership to an exclusive club paid for by service, sacrifice, sweat and sometimes blood. Some folks volunteered and some weren't given a choice. I'm not a Veteran but I can appreciate what they have done. My Dad was a Veteran and he was laid to rest last week.

I generally write a post about Veteran's Day every year. I think growing up with a Veteran as a Father possibly makes the holiday more important to me. I could easily blog about my Dad. However, my Dad was a member of a Veteran's Group. As an outsider to the group I learned more about what a Veteran really is, as I always thought it was somebody who served in the military.

My Uncle passed on the wisdom that I would find my group. If my group were half the character of my Dad's I think I would be alright. I've said of my Dad's group if I knew nothing about what a Veteran was I would respect the heck out of them from what I have seen from my Dad's group.

When my Dad did something foolish, they would give him a hard time. However, they would be the ones to help him out. The hard time and the help came from a place of love. This group of Veteran's is called the JaxVets. They aren't super organized, few rules but they meet for breakfast weekly. They raised the funds to support two service dogs for Veteran's. 

Not only did they respect each other, they also respected and supported the current military members.  Today is a day to appreciate Veteran's and thank them for what they have done, what they are doing, and perhaps reach out to them and share some love.


No comments: