Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11 Remembering

I was working in the Crystal City area of Arlington, Virginia on September 11, 2001. Not far from the Pentagon at all. I had taken the day off from work. When I heard the first plane had crashed into the World Trade Center, I did not belief it. The same feeling I had when the first Space Shuttle blew up. Sure, enough it was all over the news. Then I watched as the second plane crashed into the building. Two more planes crashed that day, one in the Pentagon. I was living in Hagerstown at the time, so a plane crashes an hour and a half away from me in one direction, then the other plane crashes an hour and half away from me in the other direction in Bedford County, PA. I may have been in shock of the whole ordeal, however nothing brought it home like my pre-dawn commute the next day. The smell of the burning crash hit me as soon as I parked my car close to National Airport and started walking toward my office. The horrific stench is something I will always remember. To those who perished on that day, you are remembered. For all who helped, I am grateful for what you did. It is something no one should ever forget.

No comments: