Wednesday, April 8, 2020

A to Z Challenge: G is for Gatton

I just ordered Tom Principato's new book about his life, the Washington (DC) area music scene, and plating guitar with legends Danny Gatton and others. I am really looking forward to reading it.

Danny Gatton was a DC area guitar legend. He was Grammy Award nominated and Fenderr even builds a signature guitar in his honor.


Here Danny does his thing on a cover of "Heartaches by the Number"...


His own tune "Funky Momma"

Nicknamed "The Humbler" because he would humble other guitarists.

Here he covers "Tequila" with guitar legend Arlen Roth...


Thanks for visiting I will see you soon!


3 comments:

John Holton said...

Shame how he died... I remember he had an attachment for his guitar that he built and called "The Magic Dingus Box" that he could get all kinds of sounds out of, similar to what Les Paul had.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

I read and own the book 'UNFINISHED BUSINESS: The Life & Times Of Danny Gatton' by Ralph Heibutzki. Recommended!

As far as I'm concerned, Gatton was the greatest guitarist who ever lived. Steve Vai has agreed. I don't think anybody else is even close. There have been a lot of great guitarists, but Gatton was on a whole different level.

I like to imagine the expression Jimi Hendrix would have had on his face if someone had (could have) suggested he follow a Danny Gatton performance on stage. I know this: Jimi (even as drugged-out as he usually was) was smart enough to say, "No way!"

~ D-FensDogG
STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

Birgit said...

I am sorry to say, I never heard of him but that’s on me. I am very impressed with his guitar playing...well, he is amazing. What a shame he killed himself