Monday, April 8, 2019

Blogging from A to Z: Gardening

My parents enjoyed gardening. Most of my life my parents had a garden and when they didn't they would grow plants, flowers and the such. The gardening has dwindled down due advanced age and health issues. The fruit trees still produce and a crop or two may pop up in the old garden.

To me it looked like too much work! They didn't do a small garden. My parents came from a generation that wasn't scared of hard work. The garden did provide my Mom and Dad something to do together. The garden produced a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Produced enough to over flow their table. They would share their abundance with neighbors, friends and shelters.

I want to say the garden was probably my Dad's influence. I know his parents had a huge garden. My Uncle also has a large garden. My Grandfather was the first generation to leave the farm so I'm sure there is some tradition and heritage somewhere in the mix.

It could be mutual. I know my Mom has relatives in rural areas in Sweden. Whatever the case mght be my Mother enjoyed gardening.

2 comments:

Cherdo said...

Somewhere along the way, my garden love lessened greatly. We used to have a mini-farm; now we have a ridiculous number of flower beds. As pretty as they are, it's not the same as a garden generating beautiful produce. I love flowers but I may have loved peppers and tomatoes more.

Thanks,
Cherdo
Cherdo on the Flipside
Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge

Birgit said...

You are so right about the gardening and generations. My dad..he never gardened because, I believe, he was born here (Barry's Bay, Ontario) but my mom...she came from gardening but she never had a veggie garden. I don't know why but she never carried that over but my Oma-she gardened and it was large from what my mom told me. I have no green thumb at all but my hubby does