Friday, April 5, 2019

A to Z Challenge: Education

Education is very important to my Mom. She wanted my brother and myself to go to the best public schools we could go to. She was proud of me for getting my undergraduate and Masters degree. Yes having her children gain a solid education was important to her but there is more to the story.

Her education was important too! What she achieved really impresses my Dad. English is not my Mother's native tongue. My Mom gave up a lot to live in America. Life in her country isn't bad. She didn't come here to escape something. She didn't come here because America was better. She didn't come because she had to come. My Mom simply came to America to be with my Dad.

Everywhere we lived my Mom was working on her education. She could speak it when my Dad and her met. My Mom not only Mastered English but got a degree in it!

Now she is proud of her Granddaughter for her grades and wants her to continue her education into college when that day comes. Me, I am just dreading the expenses.

3 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

Education is important. I finally got my BA in 2005 when I was in my fifties, but that was mostly because my wife wanted me to get my degree. I wish I had my money back. Some of my best learning has been what I've sought out on my own.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Deborah Weber said...

I love that we all have such different experiences - I think it makes us all the more rich. I love that your mother pursued what she was passionate about, and it makes sense that she wants that for her granddaughter as well. Perhaps by the time you need to pay for it, if that's what she chooses, education may actually be an affordable option once again.

Birgit said...

Education, in North America is so expensive but, I wonder, if your daughter could go for an education in Sweden(that is where your mom is from??) and it wouldn't cost anything because your mom was born there?? I agree that education is important