Tuesday, September 11, 2018

9/11 Then and Now

My life has changed quite a bit from 9/11/2001. I have a family now, my location has changed, my occupation and 17 years have come and gone. Yesterday I talked about my 9/11 memories with some friends.

Today the weather was nice here just like it was 17 years ago. It was a bit warmer and much more humid here though. Just like 17 years ago I didn't go to work like regularly scheduled. Today I had jury duty then I had taken the day off due to car problems.

Today at least skyscrapers in a distant large city aren't falling down due to airplanes crashing into them.  When I go to work in the pre-dawn hours of tomorrow I won't be greeted with the awful aroma of a plane crash from the day before (the Pentagon).  No the events of 9/11/2001 will stay with me for the rest of my coherent years. If there was a silver lining to such a terrible events it would be how America came together. In my opinion there was some division in the land.

17 years later there appears to be quite a bit of division. We live in a time where tragic events are becoming more common place. Shooting in schools, churches, concert venues, or video game tournaments occur way too often.  While those events may not have the magnitude that 9/11 had on the nation. To some the magnitude of those smaller events might be bigger than 9/11.

How do we unite? We may never truly fine peace but we must strive for it. Schools, religious buildings and other places where one would assume to be safe need to be safe. I don't have the solutions. I am not saying take away the guns. But the world could use more love, people could come together in our Nation instead of pushing everyone apart. Just maybe the world could start to heal.




No comments: