Saturday, August 5, 2017

Movie Review: Atomic Blonde



I will admit I do enjoy a majority of movies and shows created from comics and graphic novels. Some how I missed out on reading them, so the stories are fresh to me. I may need to add some to my reading list. Please feel free to leave me recommendations in the comments. This movie was based off Sam Hart and Antony Johnston's graphic novel The Coldest City.

I didn't know much about this movie before I went to see it. I caught a preview while watching another movie. It appealed to the I'm a guy part of me. Meaning it had me with an action thriller movie featuring an ass kicking blonde lead.

This movie had a lot of things that made James Bond and other spy films the hits they were. Car chases, difficult situations, a bit of humor, and even a signature drink. James Bond was always cool and in "Atomic Blonde" Lorraine Broughton matches the coolness.

While Bond flicks included violence. It was never this bloody nor graphic. James Bond had a way with woman and so does Lorraine. I can't imagine James Bond having a gay affair. It works in "Atomic Blonde" with the lesbian. I wonder why the male on male affair hasn't made it on a spy movie scene? That could be another blog post.

Another thing I enjoyed about this film was the soundtrack. The movie was set in the days right before the Berlin wall fell in Germany. They pull some great songs from that era that really fit with the film. David Bowie, Nena, Til Tuesday, George Michael, The Clash, Flock of Seaguls, and Siouxsie and the Banshees definitely highlight the album. There are some new songs and new takes as well.

The movie stars Charlize Theron and David Percival. The film is an action packed ride of car chases, violence, and double crosses. It is rated R for good reason, so if you are okay with that see the film if not stay home. The end result is a fun, summer spy movie.

Disclosure: I paid my own way for this movie, unbiased opinion.

1 comment:

Liz A. said...

What's with all the violence lately? Then again, I might just be noticing it more. Glad you liked the film. I've heard good things about it.