Wednesday, December 12, 2018

The Battle of the Bands Chronicles: Volume Five Some Classical but still a musical kitchen sink!

2017 started with a delay so Battle 60 started on January 15, 2017. I went classical with Chopin. You know I had a throw a twist with an electric version from Jimmy Page. I also played it straight with  József Eötvös. Jimmy won y one vote. 

February 1, 2017 Battle 61 marked Black History Month and one of my favorite genres blues. I went with Howlin' Wolf's classic "Backdoor Man." I used Quicksilver Messenger and The Doors. The Doors won a closer one.

Battle 62 on February 15, 2017 continued with a Black History theme as I turned towards Motown with Smokey Robinson's "Cruisin.'" D'Angelo took on Huey Lewis and Gwyneth Paltrow. It was a shut out in favor of Huey and Gwyneth.

Battle 63 March 1, 2017 I went back to classical for inspiration. This time Ravel's Bolero. Twisting it up with Jeff Beck's all star version against a bagpipe version by Carlos Nunez. Bagpipes won!

Battle 64 March 15, 2017 I went Grateful Dead with "Box of Rain." I pitted a co-writer and lyric master Robert Hunter against Beth Cassidy. Beth won easily.

Battle 65 April 1, 2017 I went with the classic hymn "Amazing Grace."  Celtic Woman against Charlotte Church. It was a beautiful tie.

Battle 66 April 15, 2017 Chuck Berry showed up with "Maybellene" but even this had a twist as the battle featured Gene Vincent and Marty Robbins. Marty won this one easily.

Battle 67 May 1, 2017 It was the Cure with "Friday, I'm in Love. "Natalie Imbruglia took on Yo La Tengo. Natalie won by one.

Battle 68 May 15, 2017 I went commercial. It was a Queen song and the first contender was Nickelback against a Pepsi Commercial. The commercial featured Britney Spears, Pink,  Beyoncé and Enrique Iglesias. Nickelback won.

Battle 69 June 1, 2017 "Blackhole Sun" in tribute to Chris Cornell. Norah Jones against Ann Wilson. This one ended as a tie.

Battle 70 June 15, 2017 "Midnight Rider" by The Allman Brothers was my next battle. My contestants came from Country music Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson. Waylon took the victory.

Battle 71 July 2, 2017 I kicked off July with some "Good Lovin'" from The Rascals. I pitted The Grateful Dead against Tommy James and The Shondells. Tommy won 3-2-1 was the voting as The Rascals got some love.

Battle 72 July 15, 2017 featured Bob Dylan's "The Times They are a Changin'." Billy Joel shut our Bruce Springsteen.

Battle 73 August 15, 2017 saw the migration to most of the BOTBs crews switching to once a month. Little Feat stirred the pot with "Apoltical Blues." I pitted them with Van Halen and Phish. No one won it was a three way tie.

Battle 74 September 15, 2017 "When the Levee Breaks" and I didn't use Led Zeppelin. I did pit Alison Krauss against the original Kansas Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie. Alison won this one easily.

Battle 75 October 15, 2017 "Tulsa Time" by Don Williams. I know most people are familiar with Eric Clapton's version who was a contender against Reba McEntire. Reba ran away with it.

Battle 76 November 15, 2017 Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill" in tribute to his passing. The contenders were Louis Armstrong, Led Zeppelin, and The Glen Miller Orchestra. That's an interesting combination. Armstrong won.

Battle 77 December 16, 2017 I was tardy. "Silent Night" was the Battle. The Temptations matched against Pentatonix. Pentatonix won!

Next will be a year in review for 2018!

No comments: