Saturday, September 11, 2021

Reflections on 9.11.2001: 20 years later!

 Usually I make a post about 9.11 on every September 11. In 20 years the world has changed. My life has changed. The views on history has changed. Time changes memories. Time and changes make these posts more important. 

No I wasn't at Ground Zero at the World Trade Centers in New York City. No I didn't know anyone who perished during the events of that day.  I did have a friend working in the Pentagon that day.  I did work less than a mile from the Pentagon. However, I had car issues and had scheduled the day off to look for a replacement vehicle. 

I lived a good distance from where I worked. Believe it or not my residence was about an equal distance from the Pentagon and where the other plane crashed in Pennsylvania. Weather wise it was a beautiful day with crystal clear blue skies.

My Dad who worked at the same place I did called me and told me to turn on the news. It was hard to belief when I was told a plane had hit a building. On the news I watched the other plane hit as well. Even seeing it unfold it was hard to believe.

My Dad would spend the day at the office as the plane hit the Pentagon. He passed away 11 months ago so I can't discuss his memories of day with him. My office mate who I lost contact with long ago ended up being a first responder at the Pentagon leaving her desk to go to the Pentagon to see what she could do to help.

My Mom who worked for another company close by was at the Navy Yard  in Washington DC and had to endure the facility going into lockdown. She passed away about a year before my Dad so she can no longer share her story.

It is my blog so it is my point of view. I can share my feelings and what I experienced. I will remember the God awful stench of the smoldering rubbish when I went to work in the pre-dawn hours of the 12th from the crash at the Pentagon. However I just shared about two people who can no longer tell their tale of 9.11. I shared how people lose touch me and my office mate. 

The events of 9.11 impacted more people then the three I shared in this blog. Many people lost loved ones, lost businesses, jobs, and were closer to the crashes. They have stories, they have a point of view. As we remember the 20th anniversary perhaps it is a good time to hear the remembrance of the day,  to hear the stories of those who survived it and those who were impacted by it. Many people's lives changed that day and they have a story to tell. They won't be around forever. Those stories are so important!

No comments: