Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Battle of the Bands: Slow Turning

 Everyone who has followed my Battle of the Bands post knew I would probably come up with a way to tip the hat to Charlie Watts. The Rolling Stones were my first Battle of he Bands. I used them a few times and probably will again. However, I like twists.

Today's song features the lyrics: 

"Now I'm yellin' at the kids in the back

Cuz they're banging like Charlie Watts"


The song is "Slow Turning" from the should be great songwriter John Hiatt. It is also the cover song to a fantastic album. His songs have been covered by B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Buffett, and many more.

The original...



Contender One Davy Knowles

A solid guitarist from the Isle of Wright. I have seen him a few times at Blues Festivals but the first time I saw him was opening for Jeff Beck at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia.


Contender Two: Keith Urban

A Country Superstar, a modern day guitar hotshot..


I like all three artist. I miss Charlie Watts banging on the drums. However on this song who do you like better Davy or Keith? Let me know in the comments







3 comments:

John Holton said...

Davy Knowles did a good job, and I liked the guitar playing at the end of his, but overall he was kind of dull. Give my vote to Keith Urban.

Mary B said...

Keith Urban gets my vote!

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

MIKE ~

Naturally, I've known about John Hiatt for many years, but I've never owned anything by him and I believe this is the first time I've heard this song.

The first recording was fine, but in my book, most of the time "Mo' instruments means mo' better". So, as much as I wish I could bust up this shutout-in-the-making for you, like the others before me, I also have to vote for Keith Urban.

~ D-FensDogG
STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS