Sunday, February 28, 2021

Battle of the Bands: In Your Own Sweet Way

 Welcome to my Battle of the Bands! My battles are going in it's own sweet way hanging out in jazz land.  Much like the last battle I have a jazz standard by a jazz giant and my contestants include one of the best jazz guitarists versus another jazz giant. 

The song I picked is "In Your Own Sweet Way" by Dave Brubeck



Next I am going to have two contenders Miles Davis and Wes Montgomery compete with their versions. In the comments you drop me a line and tell me which one you liked better. I count them up after a week or so and announce the winner in a new post.

                                              Contender One: Miles Davis

]

Contender Two: Wes Montgomery


I hope you enjoyed! Thanks for visiting. I'm open for suggestions for future battles, I'm ready for your votes, give me your feedback in the comments!









5 comments:

Cathy Kennedy said...

Hello Mike,

I think I'm going with WES MONTGOMERY. His version seemed more dreamy to my ear. :)

When you can do stop by to vote in BoTB. Have a good day, my friend!

Birgit said...

Both are good but I prefer Miles Davis over Wes Montgomery. Wes was good but it was slightly leaning towards elevator style music.

Arlee Bird said...

I guess I'm in a guitar mood today. Give my vote to Wes Montgomery. Smooth.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

John Holton said...

Did you notice that Tommy Flanagan and Percy Heath are on both contestants' recordings?

I'm going with Wes Montgomery, which you probably already figured.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

Really great Battle, MIKE!

Jazz is my favorite form of music, and I love the music of all three of these guys -- I own CDs by all three and play them frequently.

(Joe Morello of The Dave Brubeck Quartet is my favorite drummer of all time! Have you ever heard his long solo on 'Castilian Drums' from the live 'Dave Brubeck Quartet At Carnegie Hall' album? It's astounding!! Maybe someone should do a BOTB Drum Solo Contest -- I'm pretty sure that's never been done.)

Wonderful melody -- I loved both recordings and it's a really tough call when it comes to my BOTB bote. I think I'm going to side with MILES DAVIS on this one, because this morning, my ears just seemed to be in more of a trumpet mood. But on another day, at another time, I could imagine myself going with Wes.

Terrific Battle, MIKE! Very nicely done, Brother!

~ D-FensDogG
'Loyal American Underground'