Thursday, January 21, 2021

Battle of the Bands: Predictable Results on a Stairway to Heaven

I knew Heart's version of Stairway to Heaven would be hard to beat. As Birgit pointed out "They really belted it out in front of Robert Plant no less at the Kennedy Center Honors ."  I will add in front of Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones too! 

I'm not sure this version from the last time they reunited would have won?


I felt Mary J Blige had something. She didn't shorten the song to single length but she tweaked the arrangement to fit her with more of a pop sensitivity that Zeppelin wouldn't have cared about. She also brought in her all stars. 

In the end Heart prevailed 5 to 2, but Mary J Blige did challenge. I'm glad the voters returned for this Battle. 

Here Heart does their version of "Black Dog"


"Barracuda"


I'll be back on the 1st with a brand new Battle.  I have 10 days to think of something. 
Come back and vote on the new Battle and tell your friends! 











2 comments:

Cathy Kennedy said...

Mike,

I enjoyed Mary's version, too. That's why I was one of the two votes. :) Thanks for sharing the outcome. You'll find my results in today's post on Curious as a Cathy! Have a good weekend, my friend.

Arlee Bird said...

I've been a Heart fan since the seventies. They deserved this win.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out