Monday, October 14, 2019

Monday's Music Moves Me: My Roadtrip

The wi-fi in my hotel room did not work very well. I've been going to the Voice of the Wetlands Festival each year for the last five years including this year. Even before I lived close enough to make going to the festival a reality, it was a festival I wanted to go to because of the music. Living four hours away makes it an easy decision. First it was the music and then the cause. Each year I added more to the trip. First it was hiking and exploring. Then it was hiking and the Gator farm. Then is was adding the fishing trip. Then it was the swamp tour. Then this year I went hiking everyday except Friday. I discovered a new hiking trail as well. I doubled up on the swamp tours. Music was the draw but enjoying the wetlands on my visits has caught up with it.

If the wetlands disappeared I could still enjoy the music maybe in New Orleans or support the artists when they play in my backyard. I would lose a place for a fishing trip. Yes I know I could possibly book one elsewhere. I would lose my hiking spots. Never enough hiking spots but yes I could find others. Swamp tours well if it is gone there isn't anything to tour. However, the guy I went with was continuing something his Mom started back around 1965. Something that has lasted over 50 years would be gone.


Tab Benoit "Whole Lotta Soul"


How about listening to a Grammy Award winning Zydeco Band...

Chubby Carrier "Zydeco Junkie"


Well if that doesn't capture where I am maybe this one will

Nonc Nu $5 a tail


Mike Zito came in from Texas


More information on the festival and charity can be found here.



6 comments:

XmasDolly said...

Hey Mike, I use to play accordion when I was little and then for a while with hubby's band. It was only one song called "Club Cherry Bomb" by John Mellencamp, but we sure had fun with it. One time we were playing the tune and my strap broke & I put that bugger in my teeth & finished the song! hahaha "THE SHOW MUST GO ON" hahaha! Very fun tunes! Thanks for sharing.

XmasDolly said...

Dude, Man you have sooooooooooooooo rocked the house, to say the least. Got some great pickin's here today! So happy you made it. Have a great week! hugs

songbird's crazy world said...

I'm not familiar with this music, thanks for broadening my horizons.

John Holton said...

Good set here! A little swamp rock and zydeco!

Alana said...

Definitely music I haven't heard a lot in my life, so thank you for this. These were nice, especially Mike Zito. I went to the festival link and - well, I've never been to Louisiana - it is a very worthwhile cause this nonprofit is devoted to, and to think the festival is free and family friendly? And has wonderful food? What is there not to like?

Cathy Kennedy said...

Mike,

Cool song selections for this week's 'journey' theme. I don't believe I knew a single song that you shared, so that's extra groovy. Thanks for joining the 4M crew on the dance floor, my friend. Have a boogietastic weekend!