Tuesday, September 24, 2019

R.I.P Robert Hunter

Robert Hunter the legendary lyricist best know for his songs written for the Grateful Dead passed away today. He wrote lyrics for others as well including Jerry Garcia, Bruce Hornsby, Little Feat, Bill Payne, David Nelson, Jim Lauderdale,  and even collaborated with Bob Dylan. he has also written several books of poetry.


                                            Robert's version of "Box of Rain"


The Grateful Dead "Ripple"


I interviewed Bill Payne one of the founders of Little Feat on songwriting with Robert Hunter:

"If Robert doesn’t like something he is going to tell me. If lyrically he sends me something I can’t sing then I need to see if we can do something a little differently. Then he goes, ‘BOOM! – try this!” It’s usually not only better but a lot better."

Here is a song they wrote together "Ragtop Down"


He wrote "Cyclone" for Bruce Hornsby



Bob Dylan "Silvio"



Fare thee well!

"Brokedown Palace"



Hunter is a member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame, Americana Music Awards presented him a lifetime achievement award,  but his legacy is in the words of so many songs.


No comments: