Monday, September 9, 2019

Monday's Music Moves Me: Suicide Prevention


Today's  Monday's Music Moves Me is a freebie and since tomorrow is World Suicide Prevention Day I thought I would use that as a theme. It is one of those things people don't talk about but maybe through music we can have a conversation. Sometimes it is a kind word that pulls someone from the edge, sometimes it is professional help, and sometimes it is too late.




Let's start with Curt Kobain from Nirvana..."Smells Like Teen Spirit"


 Chris Cornell... "Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart"


Chester Bennington of Linkin Park.. "In The End"


Richard Manuel of The Band..."The Shape I'm In"


The inspiration for me wanting to write a blog post on this subject comes from the passing of a talented guitarist, Neal Casal who passed away  on August 26 after playing one of the biggest music festivls in North America the LOCKN Festival in Virginia. Neal was a member of Ryan Adam's band The Cardinals, Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Hard Working Americans, and Circles Around the Sun. He had played with Bob Weir, Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow, Tift Merritt, Robert Randolph, and many more.

Nel with his song "Maybe California"...


I know there are other musicians who have committed suicide. I know many of my readers know people who have committed suicide. Perhaps someone who is struggling will find help through reading this post, or taking to someone. Maybe it will help someone hang on.

8 comments:

csuhpat1 said...

Such an important post. Thanks for sharing this.

Stacy Uncorked said...

I agree with Patrick - this is such an important post. Thank you for sharing, Mike.

songbird's crazy world said...

I'm not familiar with most of the music, but it's interesting how you brought attention to such an important topic through song.

XmasDolly said...

You're giving me chills here. This topic hits everyone and you really have the right tunes to emphasize the point! Great job my friend. I agree with everyone here! Thank you for posting this. Hugs

Cathy Keisha said...

How wonderful and important to highlight this topic no one wants to talk about. In NYC right now there is an epidemic of members of the NYPD committing suicide. Unfortunately suicide has touched my life twice—a good friend and a boyfriend who I still haven't gotten over. I remember coming home from work one day to find his roommate sitting at my kitchen table and I knew immediately even though I don't think he wanted to tell me.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Mike,

It's heartbreaking that someone should feel that kind of despair to want to end it all. These people don't know how important they are to someone and while things seem bleak there is always hope. I surely do not have the answer but I know Jesus is a good first step. Problems won't go away but Christ can get you where you need to from day to day if you let Him guide your footsteps. I will say a special prayer for those dealing with feelings of hopelessness and despair. Great mewsic set for a serious situation. Thanks for sharing the 4M dance floor with us this week, my friend. Have a boogietastic week.

XmasDolly said...

So many heartaches here, and bad memories too! Truly suicides need to be faced and helped before it happens. Great idea here my friend to spread the word indeed.

Alana said...

A post full of heartache but there is hope...there is always hope. One of my husband's uncles, and one of his cousins, both committed suicide. I can still remember when the cousin (who had suffered from depression for years) seemed to be getting better and his death blindsided everyone. What pain this act causes those left behind, but just imagine the pain that drives someone to do this ultimate act. I can't imagine it. And that is exactly why this topic must not be hidden; it must be discussed and all those who need help must be able to get it and afford it. Suicide has touched every one of us, I suspect. I'm tweeting this. Such an important post. Thank you, thank you.