Sunday, April 2, 2017

A to Z Challenge: B is for Lonnie Brooks

Today's letter for the A to Z Challenge is B. My post fits the letter in two ways. One Lonnie's last name starts with a B and this is about the Blues. Lonnie Brooks was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 2010. Sadly he passed away on  April 1.

I actually was able to see Lonnie Brooks perform 15 years ago at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Form. He performed in the Blues Tent which was a very intimate setting to experience an artist perform.

Lonnie passed way at 83 and had started his career in the 1950s. Two of his early singles where recorded by The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Here is The Fabulous Thunderbirds cvering Brooks' "The Crawl"


Here is Lonnie with "Voodoo Daddy"


Here he is live...


The Blues world lost a great one. He will be missed and I hope he can Rest in Peace. His family legacy lives on with his sons Ronnie Baker Brooks and Wayne Baker Brooks.

3 comments:

Mary B said...

That is a great blues sound. I'm glad that his kids are continuing his legacy.

~Mary
Jingle Jangle Jungle
#AtoZChallenge 1970's Billboard Hits

Liz A. said...

I had never heard of him. But that's not terribly surprising as my musical knowledge is pretty limited.

Arlee Bird said...

I wasn't familiar with this name, but I never immersed myself in the blues too much either. Obviously he made his mark in the blues world.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out