Thursday, April 7, 2011

A to Z : Festivals

It is getting closer and closer to festival season. It is one of my favorite times of year. These days I write about them and I have spent many years going to them. I'm lucky I live in an area with lots of music festivals nearby. The only problem is sometimes there are multiple festivals going on at the same time and one can't go to them all.

One of favorites is the Western Maryland Blues Festival in Hagerstown, Maryland. In past years I have met or seen blues greats like Hubert Sumlin, Walter Trout, the late Pinetop Perkins, James Cotton, and more. Here is a picture of me with Kenny Neal at last year's blues fest:

This year's line up has some great young blues guitarists like Joanne Shaw Taylor, Davy Knowles, and Hamilton Loomis. You can read about the full line up here.

A little closer to me in a smaller town, there is the Brunswick Music Festival in Brunswick, Maryland. THis year's lineup has not been announced yet. It will be here. Last year it was a mix of blues, folk, bluegrass, and country all wrapped into one. Here is a review of the festival I wrote last year. Below is a picture of me and Kelly Bell of the Kelly Bell Band after his set at last years festival.
 The bad thing was the festival was at the same time the Harpers Ferry Outdoors Festival was going on, which is always a good time with live music and a silent auction. It was also the same time the Winchester Blues House Festival was going on. Believe it or not the Kelly Bell Band played both festivals last year! The line up for the Winchester Blues House Festival can be found here. Then it all wraps up with a huge bluegrass festival at Watermelon Park in September.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds like so much fun. For some reason, the guy in the blue shirt reminds me of Eddie Grant...we're gonna rock down to Electric Ave, and then we'll take it higher... Now, I'll have that song in my head all day.

M Pax said...

I've been to Harpers Ferry. Looks like a fun festival.

Marie Anne said...

Fun times!

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, man--music festivals are so fun. Beer festivals, too... It's one of the things I really miss after moving from Portland--Portland, oregon had GREAT festivals. Ann Arbor is smaller, so they are fewer and farther between.

Hanna said...

Mike, thanks for linking to the Brunswick Music Fest. We have a great line-up for our June 18 Fest: Kelly Bell will perform at 1pm, before them the Woodshedders (old-time), a traditional blues quintet from Philiadelphia, Beaucoup Blue; and 2 bluegrass band: Donna Ulisse from Nashville, TN and The Fitzmaurice, twin sisters Mary and Sarah perform progressive Bluegrass. Beer and wine garden, food vendors etc. Like us on www.facebook.com/brunswickmusicfest or visit www.brunswickmusicfest.com. $15 in advance on our website ($20 at the gate), students and serniors $10. Send me an email to arrange for a Press pass. This is Hanna at info@brunswickmusicfest.com