Sunday, January 1, 2023

Battle of the Bands: Voodoo Chile

 I've been away for a bit. Even that with a couple of stabs at these Battle of the Bands I haven't truly been back to blogging. So maybe "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" might be more fitting. Oh well here we give it a stab with Jimi Hendrix's blues classic "Voodoo Chile." 

I know it has been a while, but the rules remain the same. I will present the original. Then two challengers are given, and you let me know which cover version you like the best in the comments. 

There are a lot of choices for covers for any song played by Jimi. He is a legend of the guitar and an influencer of many who followed. Zakk Wyld is a great metal, hard rock guitarist. Paring Zakk with Les Paul's Trio is eclectic enough, but for him to perform the song on an acoustic guitar adds another wrinkle. The song certainly continues to rock. Angelique Kidjo interprets the song with a more modern, world music twists. 


                                              Jimi's version...

                                             



                                                 Contender One: Zakk Wyld with the Les Paul Trio


Contender Two: Angelique Kidjo


Let me know who wins!





5 comments:

Birgit said...

2 very different styles but i am going with the first one because he is just amazing with the guitar. The 2nd got a bit repetitive to my ears.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

I cast two votes (one on my behalf, and one on behalf of my dead cousin) for ANGELIQUE KIDJO.

I mean, seriously, how long can an obese, Rip Van Winkle-bearded dude think he can play the same exact licks over and over and over again before his audience gets bored? He needs to get a job chopping wood somewhere. (My dead cousin feels the same way about it.)

~ D-FensDogG
STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

diedre Knight said...

Jimi would be proud of Zakk, I think. The second contender, Angelique, was easier on my senses this time. A vote for Angelique, please.
*I agree, there are a multitude of Hendrix cover opportunities out there ;-)

~ diedre at streampebbles.com

Arlee Bird said...

Good to see you back.

The heavy first version was very well done, but the second world version different and interesting.

Give my vote to Angelique.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Cathy Kennedy said...

Happy New Year, Mike! I'm glad you're back in Blogosphere taking a stab at things again kicking off 2023 with your first BOTB. Jimi Hendrix is an artist I only listen to when someone shares his stuff. He was an amazing guitarist. You picked two quite different covers. Had you not told me they're the same song then I don't know that I would've known casually listening to these. I'm with everyone else, my vote goes to Angelique. His version just suits my ears the best. May God's blessing follow you throughout the new year, my friend!