Monday, March 15, 2021

Battle of the Bands: Up Jumped Spring

 Riding March out staying in the Jazz genre. Spring is just around the corner and will be here by the time I announce the winner. "Up Jumped Spring" sounds like an appropriate tune to welcome Spring. The tune originally by Freddie Hubbard is considered a jazz standard.

Freddie Hubbard


Next I will present two contenders. You tell me in the comments which one you liked the best, or which one you hated the least. I count up the votes and announce a winner in a new post a week or so later.

Contender One: Curtis Fuller


Contender Two: Christian McBride Big Band


One standard, two contestants Curtis versus Christian I did my part. Now I need you to tell me which one you preferred in the comments.

Thanks for visiting and come back soon!







5 comments:

John Holton said...

For sure, the Christian McBride version of this song was my favorite. I liked the organ and guitar better than the trumpet and trombone.

Birgit said...

I prefer Curtis Fuller with the fuller sound(oops, didn't mean to do that''hahahaa), at least to my ears. Christian McBride was ok but I didn't like the guitar in this which made me feel a bit like I was in an elevator. Curtis gets my vote.

Arlee Bird said...

This is a tough one. Either version is a winner. But for my taste I like the more cool laid back sound of Christian McBride. The organ and guitar did it for me.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Cathy Kennedy said...

Mike,

Both songs were a bit long but that's okay since I could listen while wearing my headphones as I did other things. I'm giving my vote to Christian McBride. I think for the same reason mentioned by Arlee Bird the cool laid back sound. Play along in my BoTB when you get a chance. Have a good day, my friend!

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

MIKE ~

Another bote here for the Christian McBride Big Band.

Electric organ -- 'nuff sed.
(You know how I am 'bout that.)

~ D-FensDogG