Friday, June 12, 2020

R.I.P Claudell Washington

 Sports will age you. First players you grew up watching retire. Second you reach that age when you realize you are too old to play them professionally (or in some people's cases can no longer play them professionally.) In my case I had other things working against me. I could list them but this isn't a self roasting blog. Then sadly players you used to watch pass away. That happened with Claudell Washington this week.

Washington would have turned 66 on August 31st. Still a little early in my book. I became a fan of his during his Atlanta Braves tenure from 1981 to 1986. During that time he was named an All-Star. 

By the time he came to the Braves he already had a World Series ring and was named an All-Star at the age of 20 with the Oakland A's. 

Here is some highlights from his first All-Star game..


He went on to play for the Texas Rangers, Chicago White Sox and New York Mets before coming to the Atlanta Braves. After the Braves he played for the Yankees and California Angels. Below is a memorable game winning homer for the Yankees in an 18 inning game..

His death was probably cancer related as he had battled it in recent years. He left his mark in baseball an will be missed. I hope he rests in peace.



1 comment:

John Holton said...

I remember him playing for the White Sox and the Braves. He was a good player, not good enough for the Hall of Fame, but still a good player who made a few magic moments happen. I'll miss him.