Saturday, June 1, 2019

Battle of the Bands: You're Gonna Miss Me

Roky Erickson a singers songwriter, psychedelic music pioneer, and founding member of The Thirteenth Floor Elevators passed away yesterday at the age of 71.  In honor of his life and the fact that I like to mix up my genres, styles and musical selections on my Battles I am choosing one of the best known Thirteenth Floor Elevators songs.


                                                  The Original, even got the Mono version for you...



There's more if you order your Beyond Freedom Rock: The Far, Far Out Collection now we will throw in our bonus collection of covers called: We Tried but Today's Drugs Suck! Order now operators are standing by....

Challenger One: The Heard



Challenger Two: Jad Wio



Vote now in the comments, I will tally the votes when I come down, in a week or so. 60's cover or 80's French cover.I hope you enjoy! If you like the sounds of Thirteenth Floor Elevators stay tuned I will post a tribute to Roky Erickson soon! 


7 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

This is interesting. One of my favorite groups from the sixties with one of my favorite songwriters--Roky Erickson. He wrote so many great songs.

Both of these covers are great tribute to the band. The first was very close to the original. The reimagined version by Jad Wio has the spirit (including the odd electric jug sound) and add their own twist to it all.

My vote goes to Jad Wio. Good battle--one which really connected with me.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

MIKE ~
I'll vote for JAD WIO in this one.

~ D-FensDogG
STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

John Holton said...

I never heard this song, but that's okay. The Heard's version is almost the same as the original, while Jad Wio's is an interesting take on it. Nevertheless, I liked The Heard's better, so they get my vote.

Mary B said...

It's Jad Wio for me, although both were a bit too psychedelic for my tastes.

Birgit said...

hmm I like Jad Wio except for the ending when he went a bit Alice Cooper so I am giving my vote to The Heard which was simpler and, ultimately, nicer on the ears

Cathy Kennedy said...

Mike

This is a new2me song. I can't say I'm crazy about it but I definitely like The HeardJune 1st BoTB and if interested a free Kindle copy of my children's book before the promo ends today (June 5th).

Cherdo said...

New song for me but I definitely like The Heard! I love it when I hear a new tune.