Thursday, August 16, 2018

R.I.P Aretha Franklin

"Hey nineteen
That's 'Retha Franklin
She don't remember the Queen of Soul"  

Walter Becker /Donald Fagen

I open my blog with words from an old song the reference the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin. If you haven't heard the news she passed away today. Back in May I featured her in my Battle of the Bands with her cover of "The Thrill is Gone." Maybe it was disrespectful to have her face off with B.B. King on that number. 



I enjoy both versions. Franklin's voice certainly puts a different spin on the song.  Today I celebrate the music of the Queen. I will give her quite a bit of "Respect."


Here she is feeling like a "Natural Woman"



Can you feel the "Spirit in the Dark"


Here is a hit from my teen years...



So many songs, so many collaborations, and such a legacy. May she rest in peace.


1 comment:

John Holton said...

RIP Aretha Franklin, my birthday twin...