Sunday, August 11, 2013

Judy Collins

I had a chance to see and review Judy Collins and Don McLean in concert. One question comes up when reviewing aging stars is how does their voice hold up. At 74 years young Judy Collins was able to hit any note she desired, her voice never cracked, and she performed music from throughout her career. I've read other reviews where her voice has cracked in the past. Maybe I was lucky, perhaps she played it safe and chose songs she new she can handle, perhaps a combination of the two. I don't know. I do know she sounded great. You can read my review here.

Here she is performing "My Father" a song she performed Friday. This was at the same venue but 11 years ago...


She has played Wolf Trap 30 times, 28 times at the Filene Center which is the outdoor amphitheater and two times in the more intimate Barns. She has been performing longer than I have been alive. Yet stripped down sets, simple voice and guitar, or guitar and piano, or voice and piano, or just voice is something Judy has down. Here she performs back in 1963.


Of course she performed her break through hit "Both Sides Now" and a few other songs written by Joni Mitchell which was fine by me. I am a fan of Joni's songwritting.


There were some surprises as well...She oerformed "Helplessly Hoping" by stephen Stills



I picked the above version since it had Ari Hest performing with her. I reviewed him in concert last year. HEr doing the song by herself vocally was daring. She is good but the song is fitted for the three voices in Crosby, Stills and Nash.

She also performed "Someday Soon"


She is a wonderful singer and I could sit here all day and plug in musical videos. Perhaps I will...

She ennde her show with this cover..


Well I hope you enjoy! I know I enjoyed watching her in concert.

No comments: