Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Dad Turned 70

Yesterday my dad turned 70. Long ago when I was young 70 was thought to be so old, now not so much. It is though. Time does that to people. His hair has turned white and his beard too. Funny, mine has turned gray so I must not be too far behind.

Diabetes and a slight heart condition has worked to speed up aging on my dad. Probably some of the same demons I'll have to face someday. Best advice my dad has told me, is to never get old. But like most good advice, I'm slow to take it.

My Dad and I aren't the only things to change during the years. Being born in 1938 my Dad has lived through a lot of history. The world has changed. A World War, the coming of television, personal computers, the evelotion of the telephone and so much more. Through the decades the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's , 80's, 90's and beyond. The world is so different from one decade to another. My Dad has weathered the changes.

His life two has gone through the challenges of growing up, getting married, having children, watching them grow up, being retired, and becoming a grandffather. Every stage we all try to reach my Dad has accomplished. Stuck in the day by day struggle, how is accomplishment looks greater and greater. As I see more of my Dad in me, maybe one day I'll accomplish more of those.

No comments: