Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin R.I.P

George Carlin passed away Sunday. I was able to enjoy his show, in the small but beautiful Maryland Theater in Hagerstown, Maryland a couple of years ago with my wife. Carlin was funny and entertaining. A lot of his material wasn't "kid appropriate" and I'm sure there were some people who didn't like him or found him offended.

None the less one could not argue with his comedic success. "Carlin won four Grammy Awards for best spoken comedy album and was nominated for five Emmys." If awards don't do it maybe the fact he "produced 23 comedy albums, 14 HBO specials, three books, a few TV shows and appeared in several movies."

Please check out the AP article by Keith St. Clair, it is a good obit and appreciation. I did use it for the quotes in this blog.

I am glad I had the chance to see him, as the comedy world lost a talent on Sunday.

2 comments:

Christopher Scott Jones said...

Thank goodness so much of his stuff has been recorded. Album comedians like Carlin, Newhart, Cosby, etc. will live on forever.

Mike said...

I agree! He will be missed! but the recordings live on..